Time for More Hearing & Less Fearing
Hearing one another allows for more productive collaboration.
Given all the ways we communicate via email, text, and instant messaging as well as our social media channels we are reading more and more. When the topics discussed are simple or straightforward forward this can be efficient. Yet it may also present blind spots due to the reality that we are absent of the connection from hearing any nuance that creates genuine understanding.
Our real voice-to-voice communication adds to a fuller picture and purpose. Unfortunately, technology tools can trigger another kind of connection that leads to analysis and even over-analysis, making us prone to react to our worst-case imaginings. Simply put, reliance on these types of communication tools can trigger concerns, doubts, and fears.
- How can I engage differently with others today, so I hear what’s being shared?
- Is it time to connect more by phone or video on a specific topic rather than sending yet another email?
- Am I allowing others to be heard without interruption?
- Am I being reactive? Or am I willing to learn to respond without reactions?
- Do I need to step back and listen to seek a fuller perspective?
- How can tap into authentic calm so that I hear more and fear less?
- Do I need to invest and commit to learning new listening skills?
Invest in your communication skills and create positive change that is possible for hearing more and fearing less.